Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Us

My photo
Jessica is our 2016 Olympic Hopeful and Sarah is our 2012 Olympian in Weightlifting. We're setting out to be "Pretty Strong" and we encourage you to do the same.

Translate

Friday, February 21, 2014

Face to face by Jess

So I posted on my Facebook asking what y'all wanted to read about from me since I haven't blogged in awhile. I was obviously disappointed when no one asked to hear about how amazing my new socks are or how long my hair is getting... But whatever.

There were two subjects that I actually really like talking about that I think fit with what's going on in my training and life right now. The first is about the effect of training environment on lifters.


I strongly believe the safer you feel in your box or gym the better you perform. If you have teammates or training partners in the room that have your back that would stand in front of a moving bus for you you're gonna push harder. My coach Greg Everett used to always say it takes a village to build a champion or something like that. There's only one person on the podium but look at the stands behind them.. All those people helped get them there. There are too many tears, blood and sweat lost in that room and on that stage to not have people who you trust standing by your side.

I was recently in Denver coaching a seminar at Crossfit Unbroken and met a bunch of strong, compassionate, tough athletes. They each inspired me in different ways but while I was there I read this article that made me understand where all their confidence came from.

"A sense of security is something everyone needs and desires. Security enables us to enjoy healthy thinking and living. It means we feel safe, accepted, and approved of. When we are secure, we approve of ourselves, we have confidence, and we accept and love ourselves in a balanced way.
You can't seek out your destiny when you've let fear slam the door, filled with self-hatred, condemnation, fear of rejection, fear of failure, and fear of others. Many victims of fear end up being people pleasures, prone to being controlled by other. They give up the right to be themselves and usually spend their lives trying to be what they think they ought to be in someone else's eyes.
Sadly, when we try to be something or someone we are not intended to be, we stifle ourselves and God's power in us. Without confidence even simple accomplishments are beyond our grasp. When we have confidence, we can reach truly amazing heights"
-Joyce Meyer

Who you chose to put in your corner can make or break you as an athlete. Do they try to clear the sky for you the shine, or do they cloud and darken it?

The second subject brought to my Book of face's attention directly related in my eyes. External effects on training and how to keep them out of your mind by keeping your faith strong and using it on the bar.

If you're not in the right environment it's easy to be distracted and lose faith.
"Three different times I begged The Lord to take it away. Each time he said, " my grace is all you need. My power works best I'm weaknesses." So now I am glad to boost about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, the. I am strong" 2 Corinthians 12:8-10

"Cast all your anxiety onto him because he cares about you" 1 peter:5-7

When I'm feeling down or defeated or distracted I read through my bible and remember he has my back. I know I can't control what other people do, say or act towards me. I can only control how I respond. I can control how it makes me feel and what I do. God is in control and he knows what he's doing i usually look at it as part of training, it's making me stronger, tougher and more prepared.

Fearlessly, j

No comments: